Deputy Research Director
Elissa Slotkin for Michigan is seeking a Deputy Research Director for the 2024 cycle. The Deputy Research Director will be a key member of the research team and the entire campaign, supporting the Research Director, helping to develop actionable research that advances our message, and taking the lead on several projects in addition to helping conduct both rapid response and long-term research in collaboration with the Research Director. The Deputy Research Director will support the campaign’s research operations and tasks, and at times, may stand in for the Research Director for approvals and decisions.
The Deputy Research Director will report to the Research Director and will be based at campaign headquarters in Detroit, MI.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and list “Deputy Research Director” in the subject line.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Support the Research Director and manage the work of other members of the research team.
- Collaborate with and support the communications, finance, digital, political, and consultant teams as necessary.
- Conduct research using public records, news clips, campaign finance reports, travel records, disclosures, and research databases to create cohesive narratives for campaign earned and paid media.
- Develop rapid response documents on tight timelines with precision and attention to detail.
- Contribute to content approvals, vetting, and opposition research programs.
- Participate in fact checks and approvals on campaign materials to assess political risk and pushback.
- The Deputy Research Director will be helping to manage other researchers later in the cycle, so they should seek to hone their management skills throughout the cycle.
- Experience with opposition and self research for one or more campaign cycles; federal campaigns preferred.
- The ability to translate complex information into clear, concise writing and language under tight turnarounds.
- Editing experience is a plus.
- Care for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage up and down while prioritizing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment, with strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Sharp political judgment and instincts.
- Experience with standard research bullet writing and style is a plus.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be:
- Someone with a keen political judgment and strong research skills, with an equally strong eye for detail and precision in their work.
- Passionate, curious, and analytical researcher who has experience working and producing accurate and defensible information under tight deadlines.
- Someone who can identify creative and original research opportunities and then execute them.
- Self-starter who can proactively solve problems, communicate, and flag any problems clearly and promptly.
- Someone with the drive, capability, and confidence to ensure the research department is responsive and reliable to the needs for the entire campaign.
– Based in Detroit, MI
– Salary: between $6,000-$7,500, commensurate with experience and competitive with other US
– Benefits: Eligible for health care, vision, and dental insurance, as well as paid leave.
Elissa Slotkin for Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.